- Team: SnickerSnack
- Squire: Maeve McCluskey, Phoebe Troll
- Team Members (in no particular order): Phoebe Troll, Maeve McCluskey, Katrina Truebenbach, Chris Gonzales, Theo Fitzgerald, Rebecca Groher-Jick, Kieran Teare-Thomas
- Team Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: www.gmms.org/snickersnack
- Kit: Black t-shirt w/ silver Jabberwock outline on back, Black pants, Colored sashes & shoelaces
- Team Founded: 2007
- DART 2011 – Boston/Cambridge, MA (Oct. 28-30)
- NEFFA – Mansfield, MA (Apr. 20-22)
- Lilac Sunday – Arnold Arboretum, Boston, MA
- The Ginger Ale – Boston, MA
- The Marlboro Morris Ale – Marlboro, VT (Memorial Day Weekend 2012)
SnickerSnack was formed in 2007 by then-new members of GMMS Phoebe Troll, Katrina Truebenbach, Maeve McCluskey, Rose Fristrom, Ilan Millström, Michelle Casale, and Zoe Zaferiou. Since then we have grown (and shrunk) to evolve into the very unique team that we are today.
The inspiration for our name came originally from Tom. As we are a rapper sword team, he thought it would be fitting to name ourselves after the sound made by the Vorpal Blade in Lewis Carroll’s poem, “Jabberwock.” The hero of the poem uses the blade to chop off the fearsome monster’s head, and the sound it makes, “snicker-snack!” is one of Carroll’s famous onomatopoeia. This is also where the inspiration for the monster on the back of our kit shirts comes from – the Jabberwock design we use was originally created by Maeve and Rose. So remember – if we ever tell you it’s not a dragon, we’re right! It’s the Jabberwock!
Our other unofficial mascot is llamas.
As well as the traditional rapper sword, SnickerSnack also includes percussive dance in many of our performances. One of our popular dances incorporates an South African style of percussive dance, Boot Dance, which was originally performed by enslaved miners (the phrase comes from the heavy boots that they used to wear). All of our percussive routines, as well as many of our rapper performances, are choreographed by Phoebe. Becca also has had a large hand in creating many of our rapper routines.
SnickerSnack will be disbanding after this year (2011-2012), but we have high hopes for reforming later on.
“Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe;
All mimsy were the borogroves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
‘Beware the Jabberwock, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the Jubjub bird, and shun
The frumious Bandersnatch!’
He took his Vorpal Sword in hand:
Long time the manxome foe he sought —
So rested he by the Tumtum tree
And stood awhile in thought.
And as in offish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
One, two! One, two! And through and through
The Vorpal Blade went SnickerSnack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back.”
– An excerpt from “Jabberwock,” by Lewis Carroll